Tuesday, October 2, 2012

In a Rhythm

Well, I've been in Spain a little over a month now, and I'm finally starting to get into a rhythm. This of course means that I don't post as frequently because nothing new happens to me. I go to class and hang out with my friends. Today I had a Spanish couple ask me for directions to the Mezquita, and I think I was pretty successful. I've had people ask me for help three different times now. I think this last time I may not have sounded my best, because I had to think of the best way to direct them before I could say anything. I really hate it when I sound like I'm just visiting. I've had a few people tell me after speaking with them that I could pass for Spanish, since I don't have much of an accent. Except when I struggle with what I want to say....Grrr.

The photo above is of me in the Plaza de Tendillas. I go there a lot. It's the main meeting point for all my friends when we want to hang together. It's pretty central. Sometimes if I just feel like going for a walk, I'll make a loop that includes the Plaza and the Roman Bridge. Today I went to the only bookstore I've found in Spain. The tragedy was that all the books there were extremely expensive. The cheapest book I found probably had no more than 100 pages and it cost 7.90 euros. Most of the books cost 20 euros or more....And they were all PAPERBACKS too. I think I spent 20 dollars on the last Harry Potter book, but that was in hard cover, and it was Harry Potter. I may still end up buying a book because the program here allows you to use reembolsos on cultural purchases. I just will have to only pick one book, and make sure I pick wisely.
The photo above is of the Plaza at night. Quite something. I love how they light up different parts of the city after dark. Makes it just as beautiful to look at. I took this photo, because for once I actually took the time to really look at the Plaza. I walk there nearly every day, and I just hadn't taken the time to see where I was. It is nice to be surprised with the beauty of your surroundings every now and again.

My mother comes to Spain the day after tomorrow. It will be nice to have her with me for 10 days. We're going to go to Sevilla and Granada this weekend, and then next weekend we're going to be in Toledo and Madrid. I have to show her all the awesome desserts I've found in Spain :)


1 comment:

  1. Well, sounds like my new Spartan life of intense exercise and healthy eating won't start till I get back! Looking forward to our adventure!

    ReplyDelete