Monday, September 3, 2012

Holy Toledo!

I just have to say that I love Toledo. It's a really old medieval city that is known for its swords. That has Balzo written all over it! We went on a guided tour of the Cathedral, the Synagogue, and we saw the painting of the burial of this guy de Orgaz done by el Greco. The Cathedral is spectacular. Apparently it's the second largest in Spain. It took 200 years to build, so it combines Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque elements. This city used to be the capitol until one of the kings of the Austrian dynasty decided to move it to Madrid in the 16th century I believe. Anyways, now it only has around 80,000 inhabitants. The streets are very narrow and I still don't understand how cars can drive on the streets of Spain. All of their cars are about 1/6 the size of the cars in America though so that definitely helps.
I've tried really hard not to buy anything besides food while we've been in Spain, but I saw these little tiny swords and I just couldn't help myself. I stood by the stand for probably five minutes or more trying to force myself to walk away, but something came over me. I tried to find the sword for Richard the Lionheart but it was too hard to search. Thankfully though I found this one that says Charlemagne on it. After all, last fall I did take a class called Barbarian Kingdoms where we discussed Charlemagne and the other Carolingians.
Anyways, that's about it for Toledo. We get the day off tomorrow in Madrid. I'm so excited. Sleep all day. And all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment